Spicy Shrimp & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta


Spicy Shrimp & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta

I admitted to this before: I am a sundried tomato junkie. Oh, and I love pasta just as much. My Spicy Shrimp & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta is another manifestation of my penchant for having these two wonderful ingredients together in one dish. This pasta is spicy and delivers quite a kick-- my kind of meal on rainy days.

The original recipe uses white wine, but when I am cooking for my sister who does not like alcohol in her food partly because she is allergic and partly because she does not like the taste in general (this despite my insistence that the heat from the cooking dissipates the alcohol content to negligible levels), I replace the wine with pasta water. Fortunately, it still tastes great without the booze.

Spicy Shrimp & Sun-dried Tomato Pasta

Ingredients
250 grams uncooked spaghetti
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and sliced
1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/4 kilo shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt
pepper
1/2 cup white wine or pasta water
Parmesan cheese

Directions
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. (If using pasta water, reserve half a cup of the pasta water before draining cooked pasta.)
Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
In a pan over medium heat, saute sun-dried tomatoes and garlic with about a tablespoon of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Cook for about two minutes. Add in chili flakes and saute for another minute.
Add shrimp and saute for 3 minutes.
Pour in pasta water or wine into the pan. Then add basil and parsley and let shrimp cook further for five minutes.
Toss in cooked pasta and stir well.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving.
Serves 3-4.

Comments