Chona's Delight from Tea House

Was in Baguio last weekend where we celebrated the birthday of our friend, Sandy (Happy birthday!). Her birthday cake was this outrageously gooey and delicious chocolate refrigerator cake called Chona's Delight that her friends from Baguio got from Tea House*. Sandy calls the cake "Sonia's Moist" for some odd reason. We've tried asking her why but couldn't get a straight answer. Even her closest friends appear to have no clue how she conjured up the name. One thing's for sure though, the darn thing really is moist.


Chona's Delight's anatomy is composed of a layer of rich custard between two layers of what looks to be very moist chocolate cake crumbs, topped with a layer of mocha cream and garnished with rosettes of whipped cream and cherries. It is a very pretty dessert as it is but I swear to you it tastes even better than it looks. And if you're thinking that this looks throat-scratchingly sweet, let me stop you right there. Chona's Delight has just the right sweetness to satisfy the sweet tooth in anybody but it is not nearly as sweet as a handful of Maltesers.

I for one, could not keep myself away from it and I spent the better portion of the evening spooning away at it, even in between tequila shots! (Yes, I am well aware of the possible consequences of the combination for any ordinary human being. But then again, I have it on good authority that I am not exactly ordinary.)

Camp John Hay

*Tea House is located along Session Road in Baguio City.

Comments