Wagyu Beef Burgers at Salcedo Market

According to Wikipedia, Wagyu "refers to several breeds of cattle genetically predisposed to intense marbling and to producing a high percentage of oleaginous unsaturated fat. Also known as Kobe-style beef, the meat from Wagyu cattle is known worldwide for its marbling characteristics, increased eating quality through a naturally enhanced flavor, tenderness and juiciness, and thus a high market value." This bit of information, however, appears to be not entirely accurate. "All Kobe beef is Wagyu, but not all Wagyu beef is Kobe beef." Read more about this at lobels.com.

I spied on Wagyu burgers at the Salcedo Market. I've been hearing a lot about this lately, and, being the food junkie that I am, I just knew that I had to try this. As I neared the stall that sells them, I remembered that I promised my brother a pasalubong and I thought this was the perfect pasalubong for him. My brother is a burger connoisseur, if ever there was one. At Php250, it was a hefty burger. It came in a soft sesame bun, heaped with lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese. The all-beef flavor is undeniable, unlike most other mass-produced burger that what all you can taste really are extenders and overpowering seasonings. All in all a lip-smacking good burger.

Comments