A Lovely Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

I recently bought a fluted bundt pan. I've always wanted one but for some reason whenever I'd go to the store thinking to get one I always ended up a mini bundt pan (I have two). Now I have one full-sized bundt pan. Well, 9.33 inches to be exact. 

I've started trying out a few recipes for my bundt pan. So far, I've made banana bread, rum cake, and classic pound cake. My favorite recipe for the latter is from thekitchn.com. I've made a few tweaks on this classic recipe and came up with this chocolate chip bundt cake (below) that's getting quite a following in our household. I made it supposedly for mother's day but a few slices are missing already. I don't think it will make it to Sunday. Sorry, mom. I'll make you a new one. 

I love how brown the color of the crust came out to be, so even and solid. The flavor is rich, toast-y, and caramel like- so spot on. I think the very first time bundt cakes got my attention is when I laid eyes on that rum cake by Meat Plus in Subic. When I started using my mini bundt pans, I could not get the cakes to be as brown as that rum cake and it has been a constant source of frustration for me. I think I finally nailed it with this pound cake recipe. Maybe soon, after a few more experiments, my rum cake would look as pretty.

Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

Ingredients

3 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
5 large eggs
1/4 cup water or milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions

Grease a 10 inch bundt pan and dust with flour. Preheat the oven to 325°.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together with the mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Turn mixer on low and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in water and vanilla and beat until combined.

Sift 1.5 cups of the flour together with the baking soda and salt over the wet mixture. Stir by hand using a spatula. Stir in sour cream. Sift the remaining flour over the batter and stir until all the flour has been incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the pan against the table to remove trapped air in the batter. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then invert the cake into a plate.

Comments