Some kind of adobo


Adobong sitaw makes me feel healthy, like I gave my stomach a much needed break. When I feel I've eaten too much the day before I would ask my mom to prepare adobong sitaw for lunch. It makes for a light meal but is satisfying enough to tide me over until dinner.

If adobong sitaw is being prepared for the whole family, my mom would sneak in a few pieces of pork in there for good measure. Me, I would leave those out and dig for the fried tokwa. I would choose tofu over pork any day. Other times there would be shrimp. Adobong sitaw with shrimp works for me, too. With or without the protein though, for me, adobong sitaw is heaven with a serving of steaming hot rice.

Adobong Sitaw

Ingredients

1/2 kilo sitaw (string beans), cut in 2 inch length
2 tokwa (tofu), cut into 1 inch cubes and fried
½ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup vinegar
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 kilo shrimp, shelled and deveined (optional)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup water

Instructions

In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion. Cook until onion is translucent.

Add the string beans and saute for about a minute. Pour in the soy sauce, vinegar, and water then bring to a boil. Season with ground black pepper. Add shrimp, if desired. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Turn off heat and serve.

Comments