German Food Galore: A Mabuhay Germany Preview

Fraulein's Sausages
I attended a food tasting yesterday for the Mabuhay Germany event this coming February. The food tasting event was held at the Doehle Haus building in Makati. Before anything else, let me just say that that building was one of the reasons why I was so excited about the invitation. Everytime I pass by Buendia, I could not help but marvel at this handsome deep red building. I find it so extraordinary and imposing compared to most buildings I see in the Metro. So when I got the opportunity to see it from the inside, I snatched it.

Bamm Sausages
The German Club Sausages
But enough about the building. This afterall, is a food blog. So let's talk about the food. Everything I expected from authentic German cuisine is there as well as some unexpected ones. There were so many varieties of German sausages showcased in the event. Fortunately for me, there's an all-beef sausage as well. 

The all-beef sausage from Fraulein's German Sausage Deli Stand is superb. It was not served in the usual soft hotdog bun that I am more accustomed to but a sturdier version, almost like a baguette. It sopped up the juices of the beef-sausage like a boss, which made for a more flavorful sandwich and more dignified eating. The sausage had a surprising spicy kick to it and this spice went very well with the lightly sweet mustard. From the flavor alone I could tell it was not just some ordinary mustard that we get from the local grocery. Then there was the freshly made sauerkraut which I really liked. That stuff is simply nothing like the bottled ones.

Spaetzle and Goulash
At The German Club table, I tried the goulash with spaetzle. It was the first time I've ever tried spaetzle and I loved it. Having only read about this famous German egg noodle dish in books and magazines, I was so excited when I saw it in the flesh. It stood up to the robust flavors of the goulash quite well.

While Doner is more associated with Turkish cuisine, doner kebab apparently has German roots. Doner kebab or German-style doner as related by a spokesperson for Bamm was invented by a Turkish immigrant in Germany which became a big hit among the locals. This popular Turkish-German cuisine is what Bamm brings to the table. Bamm offers doner sandwiches, homemade hummus, and kofte (a Turkish kebab variant) together with sausages and schnitzel on their menu. They serve authentic German beers, too, of course. Unfortunately, I will have to try Bamm's doner at their restaurant in A Venue. The doner sandwiches at the food tasting went fast. I can only surmise how good they were.

Beside Bamm is Beer Hero. The two variants of German-style beer Beer Hero had us try were locally made, fresh, and cold straight from the tap. These beers knocked my socks off. I've enjoyed a bottle or two of imported beers but I am by no means a connoisseur. So when I walked up to the tap, I wanted to try the dark beer thinking it would be the sweeter one. Fortunately, I was corrected-- It turns out that the darker beers tend to be more bitter than the lighter ones. When I asked though for a full glass of the light beer, I got talked into trying the dark beer as well. So I ended up getting two little paper cups of both. The lighter beer was a shoo-in favorite for sure, but having tried the darker one, I started to develop an uncanny appreciation for the more bitter flavors. While Beer Hero primarily runs a beer delivery service, it has partnered with Bamm and its beers are available at the restaurant.

Also represented at the event is Brotzeit. Brotzeit is a German Bier Bar & Restaurant that offers authentic German beers as well as authentic Bavarian cuisine. I am told they serve awesome Pork Knuckle there. It has several branches in Metro Manila the latest one having opened at Glorietta.

All these food concessionaires will participate in the upcoming Mabuhay Germany event to be held in Bonifacio Global City. Mabuhay Germany is an annual event that celebrates more than 60 years of German-Philippine friendship. It is organized by the German-Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GPCCI) in cooperation with the German Embassy, Goethe Institut and supported by the German-Philippine community.

Bamm
A. Venue Mall, Makati Avenue, Makati City.
Tel: 668-6507

Beer Hero
Website: www.beerhero.ph
Tel: 0905-294-7788
Instagram: @beerheroph

Brotzeit
Glorietta Branch
Unit G4-137, Glorietta 4, Ayala Center, Makati City
Tel: 893-2815
Shangri-La Mall Branch
GF, Unit 112, Edsa Shangri-La Plaza Mall, Mandaluyong City
Tel: 893-2815

Fraulein Sausages
Email: frauleinsausages@gmail.com

The German Club Manila
Penthouse, Eurovilla II Building, 118 V.A. Rufino Street (formerly Herrera), Legaspi Village, Makati CIty
Tel: 807-3552 or 818-3552
Website: germanclub.ph

Comments