Oven Toaster Love: Lemon Butter Poached Tanigue

A little incident with our oven made me discover whole new ways to abuse the toaster oven. One of them involves tanigue steaks and foil. See, before the oven went haywire, I found a fish recipe online that became my latest favorite quick meal, Lemon Butter Poached Tanigue. (Of course, the original recipe called for trout. But in these parts, we do not get trout. We have tanigue.)

While the freshness of the fish is of paramount importance, I make sure to use only good quality butter and freshly cracked black pepper for this dish. The ingredients are so few and so basic that there is simply no room for a flavor to go off-key. This rewards me with a delicately-flavored fish that simply melts in the mouth, every single time.

The author dubbed it The Easiest Way to Cook Fish. I love easy.

When I could not use the oven, my fondness for this dish did not stop. And that's where I learned that I could cook it the same way using the toaster oven. See what I did there? I made the easiest way to cook fish even easier.

Lemon Butter Poached Tanigue

Ingredients
1 tanigue steak
2 slices of lemon
1-2 tablespoon of unsalted butter, divided
salt
pepper

Procedure
Lay tanigue steak on a sheet of foil big enough to enclose the fish.

Season fish with salt and pepper. Arrange butter evenly across top of fish. Then lay the lemon slices on top.

Fold foil into a pouch, and place the pouch in the toaster oven tray. 

Bake in the toaster oven for 15 minutes.

If you are using a conventional oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the foil-enclosed fish on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

Also, you can replace butter with extra virgin olive oil.

Comments