Getting My Pad Thai Fix at Songkran

Pad Thai (Shrimp/Chicken)
flat rice noodles, shrimp or chicken, crushed peanuts

Php195
When I am too lazy to make my own Pad Thai at home, I go to my favorite Thai restaurant in BF Paranaque, Songkran. I love the Pad Thai here. The serving is quite generous and your server will tell you that it could feed two people. But when hungry and alone, I normally finish a plate all by myself.

Jasmine Rice
Php45
Songkran also refers to a festival in Thailand which is celebrated as the country's traditional New Year's Day (in April). In Thailand, the Songkran Festival is commemorated by people throwing water at each other, which is considered as a sign of respect. The name not connoting anything related to food, a friend of mine familiar with the Thai festival understandably got a bit confused, suspicious even, when I invited her for dinner at Songkran.

I was told that food in Songkran is authentic Thai, owing to their Thai chef. Perhaps an homage to authenticity is Songkran's use of traditional Thai patterned aluminum rice bowls for their single serve jasmine rice. But having never been to Thailand myself to sample Thai cuisine at the source, I have zero credibility to judge on the matter. But give me good Pad Thai with a healthy mound of crushed peanuts and a lime wedge on the side and I'm happy as a clam.

Songkran always serve a slice of lime together with the Pad Thai, which I appreciate so much. I have been to a couple of restaurants that don't even bother to give one. Maybe some overlook this simple little ritual, but I never do: a squeeze of lime to Pad Thai makes a world of difference.

While the prices of the food in Songkran are relatively pocket-friendly, the most economical way of eating here is to share a meal with at least one buddy. Most of the dishes here are good for sharing. Also, you get more variety that way.

Bagoong Rice (Kao Kruk Gapi)
Special Thai bagoong, shallots, sweetened pork, green mango

Php165
Chicken Pandan (Gai Hor Bai Toey)
Php220
Tom Yum Goong
hot sour soup, shrimp, lemongrass

Php245
When I am with friends, the table gets populated with more than just Pad Thai. When that happens, chicken pandan, bagoong rice, and Tom Yum Goong makes an appearance. 


Songkran's fresh spring rolls (Php125) is a good appetizer and delivers what is expected of a good appetizer: wakes up the palate with its fresh and vibrant flavors and leaves enough room for the main course. For those looking for a bit more meat, the Pork Spare Ribs (tender pork spare ribs, Thai bbq sauce, Php225) is always a popular choice.

Songkran-BF is located at 249 Aguirre Ave. BF Homes, Paranaque City. Contact Songkran-BF at +632 829-2963

Comments