Jipan's Mochi Donut: My Favorite Sweet of Late

Jipan's Mochi Donut
from top: chocolate
(Php16), green tea (Php17), white chocolate (Php17)
Long before I've heard about Mochi Cream's mochi + doughnut hybrid called Mochido, I've been enamored with Jipan Cafe & Bakeshop's mochi donuts. Mine is not borne of yet another dessert trend, just good old fashioned curiosity that paid off. I have always loved Jipan's baked offerings. Like a tourist buying souvenirs to take home, every time I go to Glorietta, I stop by Jipan to buy my favorite breads and some new ones to try out.

The mochi donuts are quite irresistible on the display tray. They are a rainbow of colors, especially when I am fortunate enough to get there when all the flavors are still available. That and the fact that I am such a sucker for doughnuts, led me to try my first mochi donut. I was hooked ever since.

Strawberry Mochi Donut
Php18
Mochi Cream's Mochido is generally a mochi that takes the shape of a doughnut. Like the mochi, the Mochido is sticky-chewy with a sweet center. Jipan's mochi donut on the other hand is more doughnut than mochi, more bread-y than ricecake-y. I think they are basically your pon de ring doughnuts, only without the classic lion's mane shape. The ring-shaped dough is made with rice flour (hence, mochi) which gives a good balance of chewiness and softness to the doughnut. Also unlike the Mochido, Jipan's mochi donuts does not have a filling but is dipped in either chocolate, white chocolate, or flavored white chocolate like green tea and strawberry. Yes, real chocolate, not confectioner's sugar based frosting.

Jipan Cafe & Bakeshop-Glorietta is located at Glorietta IV, Ayala Center, Makati City. Tel. No. (632)728-9442.

Comments