Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin Soup

Soups for my 5-day "non-chewable food diet"
Soup No. 1: Shrimp Bisque
Soup No. 3: Pumpkin Soup

Who could go wrong with pumpkin soup? With its vibrant color and festive flavor that reminds of Halloween and Thanksgiving, I thought it was the kind of food that could inject some happy in the sad state of affairs that my choppers were in. A staple in many restaurants' soup offerings, this popular soup was the first one that popped in my head once it dawned on me that I will not be able to chew for a couple of days.

The recipe for pumpkin soup I picked from Best Recipes is a quick and easy one. It is a rather basic recipe that allows a bit of experimentation for taste on the part of the cook. In my case, I added a dash of nutmeg before blending, and parmesan cheese before serving.

For a more substantial meal, I made croutons from a slice of wheat bread. I cut that up into little squares and toasted them in the toaster oven for about 3 minutes. Of course I had to wait for the croutons to soak in the soup and turn soggy before I could eat them, but it made for a satisfying meal all the same.

Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients
750 g Japanese pumpkin, diced
250 g potatoes, diced
2 medium onions, diced
3 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
3 1/2 cups water
250 mL thickened cream
Salt
Pepper

Directions
1. Place all ingredients, except cream, in a large saucepan.
2. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
6. Add cream and stir through (do not boil after adding cream).
7. Season to taste.

Serves 6

Source: Best Recipes

Comments