Creamy Roasted Tomato and Thyme Soup

Roasted Tomato and Thyme Soup
There is something particularly soothing about watching Miss Sophie Dahl cook. Maybe it's her voice or her personality. Whatever it is, watching The Delicious Miss Dahl makes me want to cook whatever Sophie is cooking straight away. Her Roasted Tomato and Thyme Soup is one of my favorites. I saw that episode during one particularly gloomy rainy day and I was convinced that if I had it for dinner, I will feel all better.

I did not have fresh tomatoes at the time, but I did have a big can of whole peeled tomatoes, so I used that. My soup turned out very nice and so, not wanting to jinx it, I've been using canned tomatoes ever since. Also, I always lean on the creamy side when it comes to soup so while the recipe says that the cream is optional, I never omit it. It does not mean that the soup without it is not creamy on its own as Miss Dahl says, I just like mine extra creamy.

Roasted Tomato and Thyme Soup

Ingredients
2 kilos large ripe plum tomatoes (or peeled whole tomatoes) – halved
one bulb garlic – cut into half
2 large red onions – peeled and quartered
few springs of thyme
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
extra virgin olive oil
vegetable stock (optional)
simple cream (optional)

Procedure
Put the tomatoes, garlic, red onions and thyme into a roasting tray.
Season with salt, pepper and sugar and drizzle generously with olive oil.
Place in the oven for around 45 minutes.
When roasted, remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and mash the garlic and discard the skin, then blend well.
If necessary thin out the soup with a little good quality vegetable stock or single cream.

Serves 4

Source: Lifestyle Food

Comments