A Birthday Lunch at Toll House

Seafood Thai Rice
Php135
A week ago, it was my turn to celebrate my birthday. I called up some friends and we hied off to Subic to have dinner and some drinks at Camayan Beach. But before Subic, we stopped over at Angeles City to pick up my birthday cakes. Yes, plural, because I planned to have two birthday dinners. One with friends, another with family. And, no, they're not really cakes. They were pies.

Apple Pie
Php350
I have been having this fixation for apple pies lately and I have been hearing many good things about an anonymous apple pie from Angeles City, for four years now. The trouble was, all that the proponent of those claims had to go on was a memory of it and it was not until last month did he finally remember/find out what the name of the restaurant that sold it was. It was Toll House. And on April 27 this year, not only did I get my wonderful albeit infamous apple pie, I got to meet Josie, the equally wonderful lady who makes them.

We reached Toll House late lunch time so we were quite hungry by the time we got there. It is actually hard to miss, with its picket fence-white facade and pastel colored 3D sign perched right on the edge of the buildings twin roofs. The interiors reflected the same homey vibe, offering diners comfortable nooks with couches right beside faux windows. Shelves are adorned with pottery and whatnots reminiscent of western country homes and the walls with posters of food and other images that remind you of home.

Pork Ribs
Php130
Roast Beef
Php135
Tropical Chicken
Php70
As soon as we were done drinking up the surroundings, we ordered Combination BBQ, Roast Beef, Pork Ribs, and Thai Fried Rice. And our gracious hosts, Josie and her husband, Rene, (Thank you, Josie and Rene!) added some more items from the menu for us to try-- the Chili Peppers & Cheese Sticks and Tropical Chicken.

Combination BBQ
Php125
There was a long discussion on how  getting a not too spicy siling pansigang, the chili used in the Chili Peppers & Cheese Sticks, is a hit or miss proposition, because in a bunch, there are some that will be easy on the palate while some will burn the bejeezus out of your tongue the minute you bite into it. True enough, there are some treacherous chili peppers in our bunch. The solution? Down a spoonful of the Tropical Chicken. The creamy mashed potatoes topping smothers the heat right off the tongue.

Chili Peppers & Cheese Sticks
Php55
It was a very good meal and the most memorable of them, which I found delightfully surprising, was the Seafood Thai Rice. Despite the fact that I have already finished the plain rice that came with my roast beef, I ate a big portion of the Seafood Thai Rice, especially when Rene suggested having it with a seasoning made of fish sauce, calamansi, and chili. I thought the taste of the seafood from the rice with the added fish sauce would be overwhelming but they complemented well, and the calamansi helped cut through and temper the stronger flavors. So so good.

After our lunch, we meandered over to the cake display and ogled at the variety of sweets chilling out in there. It was a battle of wits not to order any dessert because I did have a "birthday pie" waiting to be enjoyed later when we join the rest of our party at the beach. What really amazed me was how affordable the cakes at Toll House are. The chocolate mousse, sansrival, and apple pie for instance only costs Php350 each and the blueberry cheesecake only ten bucks more. No wonder Toll House has become an institution in Angeles City. Food here is not only yummy, they are easy on the budget, too. And I can have a birthday cake (or pie) here every week! Yay!

Toll House is located at Sto. Rosario Street, Angeles City.

Comments

Kiezia said…
It makes me hungrier. I want to eat all of those. I don't care I get fat.mouthwatering