Marinated Tanigue: Part Deux


Butter Poached Marinated Tanigue
When my sister saw me prepping the tanigue steaks that I talked about in the earlier post, she asked me to set aside some for her to be cooked in melted butter. I gave her this "I think you're crazy" look but she ignored it and she told me about this hole in the wall restaurant near her school where they served tanigue that is swimming in melted butter. She says it was wonderfully soft and utterly rich and no matter how loaded in calories it obviously was, she would order the same thing a lot back then. I think my heart clogged up just listening to her talk about it. In any case, I eventually agreed. After all, I have read about this manner of cooking fish that I have been meaning to try and it sounded a lot like what my sister was talking about. It was an article from The New York Times called "A Date With a Warm Fish" and it talked about poaching fish in warm oil. There was really no straightforward recipe given, but more of a general idea on how to do it.  All you have to think about it what fish, shortening, and flavors you want to use. Easy.

For the butter poached tanigue I made for my sister, I used half of a tanigue steak that I had marinated, only because that was what I already had at the time. This was a point of concern for me because while the article mentions adding your seasonings, herbs, and spices into the warm oil to flavor the fish, it does not say anything about marinating the fish before hand. Also, I did not bother to cut the fish into cubes. Fortunately, it turned out quite lovely so I think I am keeping the recipe.

Butter Poached Marinated Tanigue

Ingredients
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/4 kilo tanigue, cut in cubes

3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Instructions
Combine first 8 ingredients to make marinade. Put in tanigue cubes and marinate for 30 minutes. Take out tanigue cubes from marinade.
In a small cast iron pan, melt butter in lowest heat on the stove. Add olive oil and crushed garlic cloves.
Put in tanigue cubes in warm oil and let it cook for 3 minutes on each side.

Comments