Fish Balls, How Mother Makes 'Em


"Fish Balls"

My mother has this specialty that my siblings and I love to bits. I have, on many occasions, asked for its recipe but I have not dared making them myself because it is just too darn, for lack of a better word,  intricate to make. My mother calls them "fish balls" and as the obedient child growing up under her tutelage, that's what I called them- fish balls. They are no where near the fish balls we buy from our friendly neighborhood fish ball vendor though. Made with fish and potatoes, my mother's fish balls are technically more like fish croquettes. Whatever they are, they are delicious and they are wonderful when eaten with rice as they are eaten alone, maybe with sweet chili sauce for dipping, as hearty snacks.

They may take long to make but it only takes a minute for us to finish eating them once they are taken out from the pan.

Mother's Fish Balls

Ingredients
1 kilo dalagang bukid (or any white flaky saltwater fish), steamed and flaked
1/2 kilo potatoes, boiled peeled, and mashed
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, beaten
3 onions, minced
1/4 cup kinchay, minced

1 egg, for coating
oil, for frying

Instructions
Combine flaked fish and mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Fold in eggs. Add cornstarch and baking powder and mix well.
Fold in onions and kinchay until evenly incorporated.
Fill a deep frying pan with cooking oil about 1/2 inch deep and heat the oil.
Form mixture into balls, about 2 inches in diameter. Roll the balls in egg and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Serve with sweet chili sauce.

Comments