About the Fish in Fish and Chips


Beer Battered Fish
The last two posts are about sweet potato chips and beer. That they are followed by this post therefore is only logical... Sure there are a lot of establishments that serve fish and chips. But I thought about making fish and chips at home because I am finding it increasingly difficult to find restaurants that had fish other than cream dory in their fish and chips. I do not like cream dory that much, which could get frustrating on days when I feel like a proper plate of fish and chips. If I make my own fish and chips, it means I get to choose what fish to use. My top choice has always been lapu-lapu. The batter that envelopes the fish is also a big thing for me. I like it light, airy, and crackly and I have come to realize that no batter satisfies these criteria better as beer batter.

Sweet Potato Chips
The chips, I prefer real chips and not fries. The potato chip is the classic choice, but a siding of sweet potato chips also works for me. For the dip, I prefer honey mustard. You can always make your own honey mustard dip from scratch but if you do not care for the extra hassle, there are really good ones that come in a bottle in the supermarket, Vidalia honey mustard dressing, for example.

Fish and Chips

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup light beer
1 k lapu-lapu fillets
1/2 cup all purpose flour, for dredging

Sweet potato chips (recipe here) or potato chips
Honey mustard dressing, for dipping

Instructions
Heat oil for deep frying to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Whisk in beer until combined.
Dredge fillets in flour, dip in beer batter, and deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Serve with chips and honey mustard dressing.

Comments