Pili Squares by Emma Lacson's Delicacies

Pili Squares

My mother got this box of pastry last December. It was maroon with bronze letterings on it. We were having quite a bit of sweets overload right around Christmas time, and after a while I would simply glaze over the newest box of pastry on the kitchen table and  would not even bother to open it. 

This one says "pili squares" on it. Me, I am not a big fan of pili nuts. (I was exposed to this particular nut very early, having a lot of family friends from the Bicol region who would bring them as pasalubong.) I find it overly greasy and no matter how fresh it may be, I think it has a rancid taste to it. I do not think I would even have tasted Emma Lacson's Delicacies' Pili Squares had my sister not remarked one afternoon that they were really good. So, after maybe two days since I saw it on the table, I tasted my first Pili Square. It was a eureka moment. I remember thinking to myself as I chewed on this molasses-colored pastry that my sister was right, it was indeed seriously good.

It has a paper-thin crust, which I think is a fabulous thing. It gives the pastry that sophisticated crackle with every bite. The rest of the pili square is super chewy (you really have to get your teeth into it) and surprisingly moist. And it is not too sweet. It is so easy to take bite after bite of it without noticing you've already consumed half of the box in under an hour.

What of my distate of pili nuts? If I didn't know it was pili in there, I would have thought they were pecans. Kudos to Ms. Emma Lacson for casting the pili nut in a completely new light for me.

Pili Squares Emma Lacson's Delicacies (Silay's Famous Family Recipes )
Address: 120 Rizal St., Silay City, Negros Occidental
Telephone: (034)495-5047

Comments

i♥pinkc00kies said…
weee sarap! i like pili pa naman
Joy Mendiola said…
Hi Kristine! Hope to see you again.