I substituted the unsweetened chocolate with dark chocolate in the Magnolia Chocolate Cupcake recipe to come up with these rich chocolate cupcakes and frosted them with chocolate ganache.
Eat with milk.
Recipe from: More From Magnolia
by Allysa Torey
Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes (depending on the size of your cupcake papers and muffin tins)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (see Note)
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: To melt the chocolate, place in a double boiler over simmering water on low heat for approximately 5–10 minutes. Stir occasionally until completely smooth and no pieces of chocolate remain. Remove from the heat and let cool to lukewarm 5–10 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the chocolate, mixing until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
5. Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing. At the bakery we ice the cupcakes with either Vanilla Buttercream or Chocolate Buttercream.
Note: If you would like to make a layer cake instead of cupcakes, divide the batter between two 9-inch round cake pans and bake the layers for 30–40 minutes.
1 cup heavy cream
12 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
Put the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a saucepan. Pour the cream on the chocolate and wait for a minute and mix till the chocolate is melted and smooth. Leave the chocolate ganache at room temperature till thickened. Whip the ganache until fluffy.
Frosts up to 18 cupcakes