|Beef with Broccoli|
When we dine in a Chinese restaurant, my family never fails to order Beef with Broccoli. After years of ordering this out of somebody else's kitchen, I've finally decided to give this a shot out of our own. Below is the recipe I used.
Beef with Broccoli
1/3 cup oyster sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/3 cup white wine
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cornstarch
3/4 lb. beef round steak, 1/8 in. thick
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 thin slice ginger
1 clove garlic
1 lb. broccoli
1 carrot, sliced (optional)
1. Marinate beef in oyster sauce, sesame oil, white wine, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch for 30 minutes.
2. In a wok, stirfry ginger and garlic in vegetable oil. Discard the ginger and garlic leaving the flavored vegetable oil.
3. Stirfry the broccoli and carrots in the flavored vegetable oil and set aside.
4. Add more oil in the wok and stirfry the marinated beef together with the marinade. Cook for about 20 minutes. (Always test for taste. The original recipe tends to be too salty for my taste. I adjust this by adding a bit of water with a little cornstarch mixed in to keep the sauce thick and not runny.)
5. Arrange cooked beef in serving dish and top with stirfried broccoli and carrots.