My Mother's Callos Recipe

Filipino Callos

One of the reasons why I started this blog is that I wanted to write down and share my mother's recipes of the food I grew up with- my family's heirloom recipes, as it were. My mother's callos is one of them. Sure, there is always the discussion about putting in less garbanzos (chick peas) and raisins (which are part of my mother's original recipe), if not omitting them altogether (because I am not too crazy about them), but I love this dish nonetheless (I can always just pick out the chick peas and raisins in mine after all).

If you would permit yourself to eat ox tripe only once in your life, I would vote for callos. It is wonderful with steaming hot rice- the best if not the only way to eat it.

Callos

Ingredients
1.5k ox tripe
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic
1 red onion
2 chorizo de bilbao or hotdog
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
1 cup chick peas, optional
1/2 cup raisins, optional
2 red bell peppers, seeded and cubed
400 grams Del Monte Filipino-style  tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Season ox tripe with salt and pepper. Put ox tripe in a pot, add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Cook covered for one and a half hours or until tender. If preferred, using a pressure cooker will shorten this process. When tender, drain and cut ox tripe into 1 inch squares.

In a large pan or sauce pan, heat vegetable oil. Add garlic, onion and the chorizo de bilbao. Sautee until onion is translucent.

Add in potatoes, carrots, and chick peas. Cook until tender.

Add the ox tripe then toss in the raisins and red peppers. Mix well.

Blend in the tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

Comments

Foodie said…
cooking ox tripe.. hahaha smell stinky.. nakakahiya kasi baka maamoy ng kapitbahay..
Anonymous said…
callos is not callos if it doesn't have paprika.