Crinkles by Melody


A couple of days ago, I went with my mother and brother to a function they were invited to. It was held at Robbie's a restaurant located at the recently opened Seaside Palutuan complex along Daang Hari, Alabang. Though a little smaller in area, a lot of the veteran restaurants at the original Seaside Palutuan complex along Macapagal Avenue, Pasay City have also opened branches at Daang Hari. The complex also has the usual seafood market at the center and a smattering of fruit stands and other food stores typical of the old place.

I pass by Daang Hari a lot on the way to Alabang and I practically watched that complex get built from the ground up. I got excited when I first realized that what was being built was a Seaside Palutuan complex and I swore I would be there when the first restaurant opened. Unfortunately, I kind of missed the train on that one. That was why when my brother asked if I wanted to tag along for dinner, I said sure!

En route to Robbie's I came across Melody who offered a taste of the special home made crinkles she was selling. I must admit that I am not a big fan of crinkles, being more of a chocolate chip cookie kind of girl. I have made an exception for the ADB crinkles though. It had become the standard by which I have judged all other crinkles. (I have been known to spit a couple of bad crinkles, discreetly of course.) Melody's crinkles passed that test. They are big crinkles, around 4 inches in diameter and about half an inch in thickness. It's not too sweet even with the generous coating of powdered sugar that gives the pastry its characteristic look, er, crinkle. Despite this, it is definitely chocolaty. The center is moist but not overly gooey. All in all it's a lovely crinkle.

Look for Melody's stall at the Seaside Palutuan complaex in Daang Hari near the entrance of Robbie's restaurant. The crinkles are sold in boxes of 10 for Php160. Melody makes them in small batches per day, so be sure to come by early.

Comments

ziggy said…
i remember going to Pasay too, this Seafood sort of line of restaurants near MOA. Do you have an idea if they are still there? It's like a common destination for balikbayans.

I'm not keen on crinkles though. LOL.
eqv said…
I wouldn't recommend eating at Robbie's Seafood restaurant since their menu prices are deceiving. If you aren't careful, you may assume that the prices are for the whole viand (including cooking and ingredients). Each viand has a separate cooking charge! And when you pay via credit card, they charge you an additional 5%. Service is not that great and their restrooms are dirty.
Anonymous said…
hi eqv..maybe that's your first time eating in a palutuan restaurant....the menu prices are for all the cooking charges only..i think you are the only customer who's not aware of this...im really sorry about that...tsk..tsk...next time you have to ask first before you grab so that you wont be surprised..