Palm Corned Beef = Comfort Food

Palm is my absolute favorite brand of canned corned beef. Once a rare commodity and popular balik-bayan box staple, it's now available locally in most supermarkets. I always thought corned beef is made out of ground beef until I was introduced to this brand. It's chunky and packs an amazing flavor, more like a version of slow cooked beef stew rather than corned beef. In that sense, I don't think anything in the market comes close to it, really.


At the house, we cook Palm in a number of different ways. My mom, for instance, cooks it in the traditional ginisa way-

Ginisang Corned Beef
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 can Palm corned beef

Directions:
Saute garlic in cooking oil until lightly browned. Add onion, and cook until translucent. Add in tomato. Then toss in the corned beef. Stir fry for about 5 minutes. Serve hot.

Add a diced potato and you have corned beef hash. Have it plain heated or try it cooked until crispy or ensconced in egg to make a corned beef omelet. Anyway you cook it, it's a quick meal to do especially during those days when you get home from work dead tired and hungry.

Palm is available in most supermarkets and in two sizes- 12 oz. and 16 oz. While the original flavor has always been my favorite, you may want to try its other flavors- a couple onion, chili, garlic, hash, and barbecue.

Comments

Fine Life Folk said…
I've tasted Palm I think more than once already at home. The first one was a "padala" from a relative abroad. The other occasion was when I bought one myself at a grocery. It's a bit pricey but worth the taste.
Mei-Mei said…
This Corned Beef is not as tasty as the PNG ( Papua New Guinea )product.I stopped buying it ( I did that,cos I couldn't find PNG product here in States ).

Now I got some from my family who sends me,and this Corned Beef PNG is the BEST ( costs 6.99/can ,but it's worth it ).