Sinigang sa Miso: Blue Marlin Belly

I have written a while back that I love paluto meals at Seaside or Dampa. One of my favorites that I've tried to make at home (preferably with big fresh tiger prawns!) was the buttered shrimps of Shylin. Another one of those meals that we regularly order is the Tuna Belly Sinigang sa Miso. I know that Sinigang sa Miso is traditionally made with fish head (panga). A tradition hardwired in the brains of the paluto waitresses, that I actually have to tell them twice that we want tuna belly and not "panga ng Tuna". But we prefer our sinigang meaty and not bony, one that requires... ah... chewing rather than sucking. Another key ingredient in Sinigang sa Miso that got me all curious is, well, miso. I've looked up this popularly healthy ingredient and Wikipedia says it "is a traditional Japanese food produced by fermenting rice, barley and/or soybeans, with salt and the fungus kōjikin" (click here). Yeap, that's what that gritty sediment is made of- rice, barley and/or soybeans, salt, and fungus...

Blue Marlin Belly Sinigang sa Miso

True to Filipino cooking where you practically just throw your ingredients in a pot to stew, Sinigang sa Miso is not difficult to prepare. For this meal, I've followed the recipe at pinoycook.net save for the obvious substitution of Blue Marlin belly for the fish head. Slurp it from a bowl or soak your hot rice in it, there's nothing like a sour and savory soup like this one to warm you up even in the middle of a raging typhoon.

Comments