Great Goulash

There's something about slow cooking food for a long period of time that appeals to me. Explains why anything braised on the menu would almost instantly catch my attention. My favorite bolognese sauce recipe courtesy of everybody's favorite talk show host, Oprah, takes about three hours to slow cook, and that does not include the prep time, sauteeing, and boiling away of additions of two kinds of liquids. That's why when I came across a Halloween episode of Martha a few days ago where she featured a recipe of Goulash (which she so wittyingly gave the monicker "Ghoulash") I decided that's what I want to have for lunch this Sunday. It took about 2 hours to cook but aside from that it looked very easy to make with only a few ingredients and a very short preptime.

I couldn't find the exact same recipe online but I did find a recipe named "Ghastly Ghoulash" from marthastewart.com. Strangely, it's not the same as the one I saw on TV. I chose to stick to the recipe on TV because it was a lot easier although I did make some changes based on some ideas from the Martha Stewart site, also, I added a few ingredients of my own and I got a gem of a Goulash meal.

Goulash

Ingredients:

Oil for frying
1 k. beef cubes (about 1.5 inches) seasoned with salt and pepper or Cajun seasoning
1 k. white onions, sliced
1/2 bottle McCormick Spanish Paprika
water to cover (Martha used prepared beef stock)
rock salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
dash of Tabasco hot sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
1 small potato, sliced in 1/16 half-moons
1 carrot, cut in 1/4 inch thick matchstick sizes

Cooked fettucini noodles (Martha used Caraway egg noodles)

Procedure:

Season In a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat oil until very hot. Sear seasoned beef cubes on all sides. Set aside. In the same pot, saute onions. Add seared beef and paprika.

Pour in water, enough to cover the beef and onions. Season with salt, pepper, hot sauce, and sugar. Stir until well combined. Lower heat to a simmer.

Cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Add in the potato and carrot during the last 15 -20 minutes of cooking. Serve with cooked noodles.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tin!

I just learned about your blog and I'm so happy to find it! It's great! I didn't know how to message you so I'm just leaving a comment here (well, this post is really great, I think I'll try out goulash soon! :D)

I know the internet's got tons and tons of recipes and you could probably find everthing there, but I have a couple of cupcakes/baking books which I think are great but just haven't gotten around to test. (500 cupcakes by fergal connolly; simple home baking by carol pastor; more from magnolia by allysa torey).

Let me know if you wanna borrow any. It's a good time for us to meet up- the last time I saw you and Robin was at your wedding pa! :-)

I was quickly browsing thru your blog. And just a few comments for now. Have you found Red Velvet Cake? Karen's Kitchen is famous for its Red Velvet cake. I think she's usually at the Power Plant Baker's Bazaar (but her bakery? is just a street away from me also, very convenient). It's yummy, but I find the icing (?) overpowering.

Also, to check if the oil's hot na, just stick in a wooden spoon or chopstick. If bubbles show up, then it's hot. Better to check that way than to wait for smoke to come out. That's what I learned in cooking class which I've been doing. Haha.

Anyway, you have a really great food blog (plus the great pictures also). :-)

Hope you've been doing great. Say hi to Robin as well.

:-D
Yen