How do you like your Longganisa?

I like mine sweet and salty and a little spicy. I've tried quite a number of longganisa (Philippine chorisos) in my lifetime. Lots of different flavors, sizes, and textures. I am not too good with names, and longganisa names are no exception so I won't even try to list them down here. Anyway. For a time, I liked the sweet ones that oozed with pork fat and made sticky with sugar caramelized during the cooking process. But I outgrew that. More accurately, my metabolism outgrew it. Then I got to try the really salty ones. I didn't quite like those. Except for those itty bitty ones that I had in Platito, which I liked very much, especially with vinegar. I liked the ones from Jollibee that resembled hotdogs in texture rather than the traditional longganisa. I still order them for breakfast every once in a while. I also liked those skinless sweet longganisa that tasted a lot like tocino. Been a long time since I had one of those though. One longganisa that I am currently loving right now are those that my mom gets from the market. She says it's homemade by her suki. Hmmm, a lot of really good foodstuff comes from home. No surprises there. So, like I said- sweet and salty and a little spicy.

To cook the longganisa, we boil some links in about an inch of water for a few minutes in a skillet. We let the water boil away over medium heat. At some point when the water is almost gone, some of the oil from the longganisa will naturally seep out into the pan. Along with the oil is the sugar from the longganisa causing some caramelization. When the water is all gone, and the sugar is beginning to caramelize in the oil, you will have to add a little more oil wherein you will fry the boiled longganisa. Let it fry for a few minutes, taking care not to singe the sugar to avoid bitter longganisa. Serve it with rice (to mop up all the juices from the longganisa) and you have a lipsmacking good longganisa meal. I like this manner of cooking longganisa better because this way I am sure my longganisa is cooked to the core. I hate having to bite into a longganisa only to find out that the inside is still cold. Ngii. Other ways to cook longganisa is by straight frying (no boiling) and grilling. How do you cook your longganisa?

Comments

i♥pinkc00kies said…
i like skinless and lucban longganisa!

i also love jollibee's longganisa! :D you might wanna check CDO Funtasyx longganisa in the grocery.. it's like jollibee's ;)
Anonymous said…
i love mine skinless too....:)
Ela said…
i like mine toasted. i usually boil it first then cut into half and fry in low heat. masarap yung nag-aagaw ang tamis at asim.